Whether you are painting a home that you are getting ready to sell or painting a place that you are just moving into, it is a monster task. It can take even longer when you don't know what you are doing. So here are some tips on making your painting project a little easier so that you can take pride in a job well done.
1. Pick the shade of paint that is right for you. Try to consider the furniture that will be in the room and find complimentary colors. If you are selling, stick to neutral colors so that prospective buyers will be able to visualize their tastes in your house.
2. Buy the correct amount of paint. Read the coverage directions on the side of the can and purchase the correct amount of paint to cover the surfaces that you will be painting. Make sure to also buy enough primer for the first coat as well.
3. Buy all the accessories that you will need:
- paint rollers
- painters tape
- roller pans
- roller pan liners
- drop clothes
- paint stirring sticks
4. Completely cover furniture and carpets with drop clothes.
5. Remove socket plates and tape off moldings, window seals, doorways, etc.
6. Start Painting. Put the primer coat first. Once the primer coat has dried, apply a topcoat. If it is not to your liking, you can apply a second coat.
7. If you need to stop for any breaks, you can wrap your rollers or brushes in plastic wrap and rubber band it shut so that the paint remains moist and does not dry. This way you do not have to wash out the brushes and rollers overtime you stop.